Can a green smoothie be purple? Yes indeed! This Blueberry Ginger Smoothie is a perfect example of this smoothie paradox.
I think it is totally acceptable for a green smoothie to be purple, as long as the recipe calls for a nice big handful of greens. This green smoothie recipe combines blueberries with ginger and parsley. The resulting ginger smoothie tastes crisp and refreshing, and the flavors blend together surprising well.
Blueberries are loaded with antioxidants, and research shows that high-antioxidant berries improve brain health by helping the brain rid itself of toxins! (Learn more about keeping your brain healthy and young in Dr. Amen’s Use Your Brain to Change Your Age)
- 1 cup unsweetened So Delicious coconut milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 banana (optional – keeps the smoothie from separating easily)
- 1 handful fresh parsley (a big handful!)
- 1 inch or so of fresh peeled ginger
- 1 bag frozen blueberries (usually 10 oz – or use fresh if in season!)
Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Then enjoy drinking this beautiful purple ginger smoothie while appreciating the spunky kick of flavors.